Friday, 4 November 2016

Goodbye Motley Fool!

I was sad to hear that one of my favourite personal finance forums will be winding down later this month. I have been a regular visitor and occasional poster since 2009 during which time I have learnt a great deal about personal finance and investing issues. Not only financial however, but help with legal matters (especially Clitheroe Kid), with computer problems and a host of other aspects of everyday life.

I am sure many thousands of ordinary people have found inspiration and guidance from all the many forum members who gladly pass on the wisdom of their own invaluable experience and expertise.

I would check out my favourite boards at least 2 or 3 times each week and have enjoyed the banter and wit from many of the regulars which makes it feel like a real community. I guess many will be feeling a sense of loss as the closure is about to happen in less than two weeks.

On the bright side, a few of the regulars are talking about some continuity replacement forum. Indeed one - Lemon Fools is already up and running!

So, thanks to all at Motley Fool for all the articles and discussions over the past few years and I hope many regulars will meet up again in the future.

Feel free to leave a comment below with your experience of TMF.

7 comments:

  1. I loved the MF forum and will start looking at the new ones as they come up, they are indeed a great source of information/inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, there is so little information of that ilk anywhere. Poor Luni, what will happen with all his historical posts and updates..!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John
    Note sure if you are aware but a couple of TMF'ers have already set up a forum called Lemon Fool (lemonfool.co.uk). They already have 640 members and a lot of the TMF regulars I respect the views of have already signed up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RIT...you must have missed the mention in my post! Great to see something up and running so quickly.

      Delete
    2. Doh! For some reason I missed that whole paragraph. I think I need a nice fresh cup of coffee to wake me up :-)

      Delete
  4. I only discovered the MF boards a year ago so this is a shame. I'll check out lemonfool.

    Thanks for posting this, diy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The TMF boards have been useful for over a decade, and full of interesting people. Sad to see it go, but I hope the residents will find a new and bigger home.

    ReplyDelete